Keys to Happy Smile
Keys to a Happy Smile
Don't give your baby a bottle in the crib or prolonged nighttime breast feeding once the teeth appear. Baby Bottle Tooth Decay occurs from failure to clean your child's teeth and from extended nursing on milk, formula or juices, especially before bedtime or nap time.
- Don't use the feeding bottle as a pacifier. If you must, then use only plain water in the bottle.
- Don't give your baby a pacifier that has been dipped in honey or sugar.
- Let your baby graduate to drinking from a cup by the first birthday.
- Gum care is very important within the first few days after birth. Gently wipe the gums with a soft, damp washcloth or gauze pad after each feeding and at bedtime. Begin using a small toothbrush as more teeth come in.
- No toothpaste or use a small pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste until the child is able to rinse.